Nay Tah Waush Fight Leads to Robbery, Assault Charges

Brian Wayne Crabtree
Brian Wayne Crabtree

Nay Tah Waush Fight Leads to Robbery, Assault Charges

Nay Tah Waush (trfnews.i234.me) — A Bagley man faces two felonies after an alleged assault and robbery in Mahnomen County.

Brian Wayne Crabtree, 40, is charged with simple robbery and third-degree assault.

The charges stem from an alleged June 16, 2026, fight near Nay Tah Waush.

The case is filed in Mahnomen County District Court as 44-CR-26-353.

Victim Reports Sudden Attack

Law enforcement responded to the Nay Tah Waush area after receiving a report of an assault.

The victim was later located at another residence with visible injuries, according to the complaint.

He told investigators that he had gone to a nearby trailer to speak with another person.

Crabtree allegedly opened the door when the victim arrived.

The victim said Crabtree then punched him several times without warning.

The two men fell to the ground during the fight, according to prosecutors.

The victim alleged Joseph John Sudar Jr. then struck him while the fight continued.

Sudar later denied joining the fight.

He told investigators that he tried to pull the victim away from Crabtree.

Brian Wayne Crabtree mugshot
Brian Wayne Crabtree

Phone Allegedly Taken After Fight

The victim told investigators that Crabtree took his Samsung A26 phone after the assault.

The phone was valued at about $100.

Police reported seeing blood on the victim’s face, head, ears, and neck.

His injuries included a large cut on his head and several lumps on his neck.

Investigators also documented bleeding gums, a loose tooth, a jammed thumb, and leg pain.

Photographs were taken of the injuries, according to the complaint.

Witness Says Crabtree Left Area

Julia Holm told investigators she had been with Crabtree in Nay Tah Waush that day.

Holm said she remained in a vehicle while Crabtree was near the trailer.

She reported seeing Crabtree and the victim go to the ground during a fight.

Holm said the victim had blood on his face afterward.

She and Crabtree then left the area, according to her statement.

Holm said Crabtree later exited the vehicle and ran into the woods.

Two Felony Charges Filed

Simple robbery carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

It also carries a possible fine of up to $20,000.

Third-degree assault carries up to five years in prison and a possible $10,000 fine.

Readers can review Minnesota Statute 609.24 for simple robbery.

The assault charge is covered by Minnesota Statute 609.223.

The charges are allegations and have not been proven in court.

Crabtree is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

I’m Adrian Cole reporting for TRF News.

Copyright 2026 TRF News. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment