Bemidji Man Faces Felony Strangulation Charge

Silas Xavier Botello
Silas Xavier Botello

Bemidji Man Faces Felony Strangulation Charge

Bemidji (trfnews.i234.me) — A Bemidji man faces felony and misdemeanor domestic assault charges in Beltrami County.

Silas Xavier Botello, 23, is charged in Beltrami County District Court.

The most serious count alleges domestic assault by strangulation.

Prosecutors also charged Botello with misdemeanor domestic assault involving fear of immediate bodily harm or death.

Property Dispute Led To Police Contact

The investigation began February 10, 2026, according to the criminal complaint.

A woman identified as M.D. contacted police about retrieving property from Botello.

M.D. told police that Botello was her boyfriend and had locked her out of their shared Bemidji home.

She said several personal items remained inside the residence.

Those items included her wallet, debit card, WIC card, EBT card, mail, and nail art supplies.

The complaint says the nail supplies were valued at about $250.

M.D. told investigators that Botello wanted repayment for money he had previously given her.

She alleged Botello planned to keep her property until he received the money.

Silas Xavier Botello mugshot
Silas Xavier Botello

Woman Reports Earlier Assault

During the investigation, M.D. reported an alleged assault from February 6.

She said an argument over money became physical inside the couple’s residence.

According to the complaint, M.D. alleged Botello grabbed her neck with one hand.

She said Botello forced her to the floor while keeping his hand around her neck.

M.D. estimated the incident lasted about 10 to 15 seconds.

She told police she feared she might pass out.

She said she was crying and unable to defend herself during the alleged assault.

The complaint states that Botello later left the residence.

Botello Denies Strangulation Allegation

Police later contacted Botello and arranged to meet him at the Law Enforcement Center.

Botello returned the property described by M.D., according to the complaint.

He acknowledged that an argument occurred but denied strangling M.D.

Botello now faces one felony count of domestic assault by strangulation.

The felony carries a maximum sentence of three years and a $5,000 fine.

The misdemeanor assault charge carries up to 90 days and a $1,000 fine.

Readers can review Minnesota’s domestic assault by strangulation law.

The state’s general domestic assault law is available under Minnesota Statute 609.2242.

Additional court information is available from the Minnesota Judicial Branch.

The charges are allegations and have not been proven in court.

Botello is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

I’m Adrian Cole reporting for TRF News.

Copyright 2026 TRF News. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment