October 20, 2021
Regular Board Meeting
Independent School District 564 – Board of Education
September 27, 2021
DSC Board Room
A Regular Meeting of Independent School District #564 Board of Education was held Monday, September 27, 2021, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the DSC Board Room. The following board members were present: Mike Spears, Wayne Nomeland, Michelle Westerman, Craig Mattson and Chris Melbye. Absent: Misty Hempel and Michelle Westerman.
Staff members present were: Melissa Bushy, Tony Greene, Scott Brekke, Patrick Marolt, Mike Wienen, Sara Olson, Amber Lindgren, Tanya Monson-Ek and Mary Fran Twistol.
Also present were: Marlene Anderson, Dave Hill and Jillian Neibaur.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Chairman Wayne Nomeland called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and Clerk Mike Spears confirmed that a quorum was present.
A motion was made by Ryan Walseth and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the September 27, 2021 agenda as presented. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the minutes of the September 13, 2021 Regular Board Meeting as presented. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the bills as submitted and on file in the School District Business Office. Motion carried.
Public Comment: None.
We have been able to finalize a lot of open positions this past week. A special thank you to Amber Lindgren and Tanya Monson-Ek for all of the work they’ve put into filling these positions. We are struggling like everyone else in town and these two have worked tirelessly to ensure we have high quality staff hired for these important positions.
COVID numbers currently look good for us. Our in school case counts are low and our county case rates continue to decline. We have seen some illness in our schools, and are encouraging families to keep their children home if they’re sick, but many students and staff are testing negative for COVID, so that’s good news. We will continue to remind our students and staff to stay home if they’re sick.
It was just recently announced that there will be vaccine booster shots available for school staff, however, we don’t have the details surrounding this yet. Once we know, we will share. This is good news for our community. Just another way to ensure our students can stay in school.
We are excited to share that we are partnering with a new payroll company called School Management Systems. We appreciate the fact that this company only works with schools across MN, so they could hit the ground running. This will give us new personnel, now a new system. We still use Region 1.
We are still in desperate need of bus drivers. Currently, we have 15 drivers for 18 routes. We are still advertising, still hoping to convince some staff and maybe community members to get the license, make some extra money, and help out our community. We are at a crucial stage where decisions will have to be made about how to move forward.
Chris Melbye gave a recap from the September 21, 2021 Finance Committee meeting.
Ryan Walseth gave a recap from the September 22, 2021 Facilities Committee meeting.
LHS Senior, Daniella Niebuhr, was in attendance and provided an update on LHS Homecoming this week, September 27 – October 1, 2021.
A. Congratulations to Kenny Beauchane, CES paraprofessional, who turned 80 this month and will have been working in our district for 53 years in October.
B. Congratulations to LHS Senior, Annika Christensen, for being a Semifinalist in the 2022 National Merit Scholarship Program.
C. Recognize the donation from Grzadzys, Inc. (dba: Black Cat Sports Bar & Grill) to the Girls Swimming program totaling $500.
D. Recognize the donation from the TRF Sports Boosters to the Girls Hockey program totaling $1000.
E. Recognize the donation from the TRF Lioness Club to the Prowler Pantry totaling $100.
Patrick Marolt and Mike Wienen gave a presentation on their CES Fall Building Vision Cards.
Real World Authentic Opportunities:
Voice and Choice:
A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Ryan Walseth to approve the RESOLUTION relating to appointing election judges and absentee ballot board members for the November 2, 2021 School District Special Election. Motion carried.
Safety (Strategic Direction D):
A. A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the Consent Agenda and as appropriate, per negotiated contract, salary and benefits and an acceptable background check. Motion carried.
1. Approve the assignment of Jennifer Knott, Administrative Support – Buildings and Grounds/Purchasing, effective September 20, 2021.
2. Approve the employment of Tiera Bugge, Lifeguard, effective September 13, 2021.
3. Approve the employment of Mariah Olson, ECFE Paraprofessional, effective September 13, 2021.
4. Approve the employment of Melissa Maslowski, Special Education Paraprofessional, CES, effective September 23, 2021.
5. Approve the employment of Rosalind Reishus, Student Services Assistant/Library Aide, FMS, effective September 27, 2021.
6. Approve the employment of Kinsey Anderson, Lifeguard, effective September 23, 2021.
7. Approve the employment of Robert Foster, Special Education Paraprofessional, FMS, effective October 4, 2021.
8. Approve the employment of Holly Ward, Coordinator of Learner Support Services, effective October 6, 2021 – June 30, 2022.
9. Approve the leave of absence for Abbie Dahl, Teacher, CES, from approximately November 27, 2021 until approximately March 7, 2021.
10. Approve the leave of absence for Courtney Sherga, Special Education Paraprofessional, CES, from September 7, 2021 until approximately November 8, 2021.
11. Accept the resignation of Brittney Bjerke, Special Education Paraprofessional, effective September 24, 2021.
B. A motion was made by Mike Spears and seconded by Ryan Walseth to approve the 2021-23 General Terms and Conditions of Employment for Unaffiliated Administrative Support Employees. Motion carried.
C. A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Mike Spears to Establish and Post for the following positions: Motion carried.
1. Special Education Paraprofessional Effective Date: Immediately
a. 1.0 FTE
2. Payroll/Benefits Specialist Effective Date: Immediately
a. 1.0 FTE
Strong Fiscal Management:
1. A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Ryan Walseth to approve the renewal of MSBA 616 School District System Accountability policy with changes. Motion carried.
Board Chair Nomeland adjourned the meeting at 6:31 pm.
Wayne Nomeland, Chair
Mike Spears, Clerk