TRF man sentenced for aiding and abetting a burglary
TRF man sentenced for aiding and abetting a burglary

A Thief River Falls man was sentenced Tuesday, Aug. 2 in Pennington County District Court for a felony charge of aiding and abetting a second-degree burglary.

Ian Michael Lane, 24, was granted a five-year stay of imposition. As a condition of that sentence, he was ordered to serve supervised probation for five years. Lane was ordered to have no violations of an active civil/criminal no-contact order. He was ordered to have no contact with people associated with illegal drugs. Lane was ordered to enter and successfully complete Drug Court. He was ordered to actively seek employment and a stable residence. Lane was ordered to not use or possess firearms, ammunition, or explosives. He was ordered to provide a DNA sample. Lane was also ordered to pay $210 in fees and fines. The right to restitution is reserved.

The charge stemmed from a report of a burglary and an assault on June 23, 2021. The incident was reported at about 12:22 a.m. at 210 St. Paul Ave. S. #2, according to the complaint. Lane, Jesse David LeMoine, and Tyler Ronald Smith were charged in connection with the case.

Dispatch told police that two of the individuals were still outside of the home. Upon arriving, police observed LeMoine and Smith outside. Smith ran into an apartment across the street and soon fell out of the window. The three occupants reported that they had been awakened by a loud noise.

LeMoine, Lane, and Smith were standing in a room occupied by a couple. The victim owed money to Lane. LeMoine then began choking the man, who was lying down. LeMoine demanded all of the man’s money. At one point, he punched the man’s girlfriend in the stomach while she attempted to get LeMoine off her boyfriend. The man believed the others had gone to the apartment to obtain the money that he owed for a vehicle. Earlier, the man had sent a Facebook message to Smith and Lane, asking why they were “screwing him over” for a vehicle.

Lane left with a bag containing $2,000. The third apartment occupant, who is the victim’s sister, reported that a necklace had also been stolen. The necklace was a family heirloom.

The assault apparently ended after a neighbor, who lived across the street, intervened and the sister displayed a machete. The neighbor told police he heard screaming coming from the home and believed the screaming was coming from his friend’s apartment. However, the neighbor soon realized the screaming was coming from another apartment in the same building. Smith soon ran into the neighbor’s apartment building and fell out of the window.

The neighbor initially denied that Smith was inside his apartment. Later, he said he knew Smith didn’t like the police and he didn’t want to make anything worse for Smith. Police observed damage in the apartment where the assault occurred. The front door was loose. Glass was broken in the living room, and a lamp had been pushed over. Cigarettes were also found lying on the hallway floor.

The complaint indicated that the man had no new marks around his neck. A day earlier, he had apparently been assaulted and had marks around his neck from that assault. According to the police department, the early morning incident was a continuation of the initial assault with some of the same parties involved. Later that day, the victim, his mom, sister, and girlfriend spoke to Police Chief Marissa Adam because they were upset that Lane hadn’t been arrested.

At the time, a warrant had been issued for his arrest due to the above incident and a pending probation violation that had been filed earlier. They told Adam that they were scared and wanted to be notified if any of the three men were released from custody.

The victim’s mom also reported that her van key was stolen. Adam advised her to obtain a new van key. The victim said he had since realized 60 to 70 suboxone pills had been stolen, and his phone had been broken.

The victim also said he had a hard time breathing. Adam advised him to seek medical attention. The other individuals have since been sentenced in connection with the incident.

Ian Michael Lane
Ian Michael Lane