December 21, 2022
Regular Board Meeting
Independent School District 564 – Board of Education
November 28, 2022
DSC Board Room
A Public Meeting was held on Monday, November 28, 2022 at 5:45 pm in the DSC boardroom to review the 2021-22 World’s Best Workforce Plan. Sara Olson, Director of Teaching, Learning, and Technology, was available for questions.
A Regular Meeting of Independent School District #564 Board of Education was held on Tuesday, November 28, 2022, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the DSC boardroom. The following board members were present: Ryan Walseth, Misty Hempel, Mike Spears, Wayne Nomeland, Michelle Westerman, Chris Melbye, and Craig Mattson. Absent: None.
Staff members present were: Dr. Paula Henry, Melissa Bushy, Sara Olson, Tony Greene, Patrick Marolt, Darla Hegge, Brenda Leier, and Scott Brekke.
Also present were: Tanya Monson-Ek, Tracee Bruggeman, Kayla Lian, Coby Skjerven, Brylee Lingen, Marlene Anderson, and Dave Hill.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Chair Walseth called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Vice-Chair Hempel confirmed that a quorum was present.
A motion was made by Misty Hempel and seconded by Craig Mattson to amend the November 28, 2022. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Misty Hempel to approve the November 28, 2022 agenda, as amended. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the minutes of the November 14, 2022 Regular Board Meeting, as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Mike Spears and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the bills as submitted and on file in the School District Business Office. Motion carried unanimously.
Public Comment: None.
A. 2021-22 Audit Report – Brady Martz & Associates
B. 2023-2024 Academic Calendar – Calendar Committee
C. Superintendent Search – Lee Warne, MSBA
A. Student Report:
1. Brylee Lingen and Coby Skjerven provided an update on student life at LHS.
B. Superintendent’s Report:
1. Interim Superintendent Dr. Paula Henry presented Board Chair, Ryan Walseth, with the MSBA Director’s award.
A. Congratulations to CES teacher, Courtney Skjerven, who was awarded the 2022 MREA Educator of Excellence Award. There were four given statewide and he won for the North Zone.
B. Congratulations to the following girls swimmers who qualified for State:
1. 100 Butterfly – Kendal Rantanen
2. 100 Breaststroke – Maren Espe
3. 100 Backstroke – Kendal Rantanen
4. 200 Medley Relay – Kendal Rantanen, Maren Espe, Caitlin Ellison, Brianna Berg
Business Action Items:
A. A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Misty Hempel to approve the 2023-24 Academic Calendar, as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
B. A motion was made by Mike Spears and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the Thief River Falls Public Schools ISD 564 2021-22 Audited Financial Statements, as presented, by Brady Martz & Associates. Motion carried unanimously.
C. A motion was made by Misty Hempel and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve to authorize publication of the “District Revenues and Expenditures Budget for FY2022 and FY2023 in the Times as indicated in the Appendix. Motion carried unanimously.
D. A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Misty Hempel to authorize the Superintendent Search Process, as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
1. Approve the vacancy brochure.
2. Approve the timeline.
E. A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the consent agenda as presented, and as appropriate, per negotiated contract, salary and benefits and an acceptable background check. Motion carried unanimously.
1. Approve the assignment of Shaun Moran, Head Maintenance, FMS, effective October 31, 2022.
2. Approve the employment of Kylea Praska, School Readiness Teacher (Long-Term Substitute), CES Preschool, effective January 9, 2023 – approximately February 28, 2022.
F. A motion was made by Misty Hempel and seconded by Mike Spears to approve to Establish and Post for the following positions: Motion carried unanimously.
Target Services – CES – December 12, 2022 – March 22, 2023
a. One (1) Coordinator – up to 70 hours
b. One (1) Kindergarten Teacher – up to 45 hours
c. Up to Eight (8) Gr. 1-5 Teachers – up to 45 hours each
d. Up to Three (3) Paraprofessionals – up to 45 hours each
1. The 2023 MSBA Leadership Conference will be held in Minneapolis on January 12-13. Please let Melissa know if you wish to attend.
2. The next LTPAC meeting will be on Thursday, December 1, at 7 am in the LHS Training Center. Todd Rapp from Rapp Strategies will be in attendance.
3. The next school board meeting will be on Monday, December 12 @ 5:00 pm. Please note the time change. The Truth in Taxation Hearing will follow at 6:15 pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:24 p.m.
/s/ Ryan Walseth, Chair
/s/ Michelle Westerman, Clerk