Regular Board Meeting
Independent School District 564 – Board of Education
AUGUST 22, 2022
DSC Board Room
A Regular Meeting of the Independent School District #564 Board of Education was held on Monday, August 22, 2022, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the DSC Board Room. The following board members were present: Ryan Walseth, Chris Melbye, Michelle Westerman, Wayne Nomeland, and Craig Mattson. Absent: Misty Hempel and Mike Spears.
Staff members present were: Dr. Paula Henry, Tanya Monson-Ek, Melissa Bushy, Mary Fran Twistol, Dr. Tony Greene, Holly Ward, Ronnie Skallet, Sara Olson, Beth Sheehan, Dan Christensen, and Scott Brekke.
Also present were: Marlene Anderson, Dave Hill, and Jillian Neibaur.
The Pledge of Allegiance was
Board Chair Walseth called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Clerk Westerman confirmed that a quorum was present.
A motion was made by Wayne Nomeland and seconded by Craig Mattson to approve the August 22, 2022 agenda as presented. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the minutes of the August 8, 2022 Regular Board Meeting as presented. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Ryan Walseth to approve the bills as submitted and on file in the School District Business Office. Motion carried.
Superintendent’s Report: Interim Superintendent Henry stated ISD 564 will no longer utilize a COVID matrix. It is our understanding from MDH and the CDC, at this time, that there will be no contract tracing, no masks required, visitors and volunteers will be welcome in all of our schools. Staff and students need to report all COVID cases to Nicole Wienen, school nurse. Nicole will be the go to person for all COVID related questions and concerns.
There is a joint CIty/County/School meeting scheduled for Monday, August 29 @ 5:30 pm at REA – Imperial Room.
The All Staff Welcome Back is scheduled for Tuesday, August 30 @ 7:45 am in the LHS Commons.
Brady Martz will be conducting the ISD 564 Financial Audit in early September. We will hear a report on this at the September 26 school board meeting.
A. Recognize the donation from Fraternal Order of Eagles to CES-Genius Hour totaling $500.
A. Holly Ward gave the school board an update from the Special Education department.
B. Ronnie Skallet presented on what Transportation will look like to start the 2022-23 school year.
Real World Authentic
Voice and Choice:
A. A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Craig Mattson to approve the removal of the COVID Matrix effective September 6, 2022. Motion carried.
B. A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the E-Learning Plan and MOU for the 2022-23 school year. Motion carried.
A. A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the contract for services with Sanford Health to provide Behavioral Health Services for the 2022-23 school year. Motion carried.
B. A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the Resolution calling for the School District General Election. Upon a roll call vote, the following voted in favor of: Nomeland, Westerman, Walseth, Melbye, and Mattson. Absent: Spears and Hempel. Motion carried.
Safety (Strategic Direction D):
A. A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the Consent Agenda as presented, and as appropriate, per negotiated contract, salary and benefits and an acceptable background check. Motion carried.
1. Accept the resignation of
Ronnie Lappegaard-Stromgren, Special Education Paraprofessional, effective August 8, 2022.
2. Accept the resignation of Owen Misson, Cleaner, effective August 12, 2022.
3. Accept the resignation of Alanah Mack, Lifeguard, effective August 18, 2022.
4. Approve the assignment of Madyson Anderson, Special Education Paraprofessional, effective September 6, 2022.
5. Approve the employment of Danielle Worden, Paraprofessional/Playground Aide, effective September 6, 2022.
6. Approve the employment of Cathy Cash, Administrative Support – Buildings & Grounds/Purchasing, effective August 19, 2022.
7. Approve the employment of Joshua Ball, Special Education Paraprofessional, effective September 6, 2022.
8. Approve the employment of Jenna Carlson, Kitchen Helper, CES, effective August 22, 2022.
9. Approve the employment of Shannon Vettleson, Kitchen Helper, FMS, effective August 22, 2022.
B. A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the increase in hours of the Volunteer Coordinator positions from 1300 hours/year to 1500 hours/year and 400 hours/year to 600 hours/year for the 2022-23 only. Motion carried.
C. A motion was made by Wayne Nomeland and seconded by Craig Mattson to approve the request for lane changes effective September 1, 2022: Motion carried.
1. Cheryl Winkler-Miller – MA40/Top
2. Denise Yonke – MA10/Step 10
3. Todd Prickett – BA50/Top
4. Tim Magnusson – BA50/Top
5. Daniel Christensen – BA30/Step 14
6. Arianna Porter – BA10/Step 4
7. Stephanie Kainz – MA30/Step 16
8. Dalia Englund – MA40/Step 5
9. Twyla Race – MA20/Step 12
10. Malena Hanson – MA/Step 5
11. Jackie Kuznia – MA/Step 4
12. Diana Marquart – MA30/Top
13. Margaret Bartz – MA30/Step 13
14. Susan Finger – BA30/Step 14
15. Kylie Skime – BA10/Step 5
16. Jamie Cota – MA/Step 4
17. Lorrisa Skalsky – BA10/Step 8
18. Rick Johnson – BA50/Top
19. Lauren Johnson – BA10/Step 11
D. A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Michelle Westerman to approve the following 2022-23 Extra-Curricular Assignments: Motion carried.
1. Stacey Leake-Knowledge Bowl-HS
2. Stacey Leake-Key Club-HS
3. Derek Druse-Starlight Strings-MS-Orchestra
4. Jason Schuster-MS Supervisor
5. Rebecca Mattson-HS National
6. Loren Leake-Football-MS-7th gr
7. Paul Brandt-X Cty-MS-Head
8. Kimmy Burstad-Girls Tennis-MS-Head
Strong Fiscal Management:
A. A motion was made by Wayne Nomeland and seconded by Craig Mattson to designate Dr. Paula Henry as the ISD 564 Local Education Agent (LEA) representative for 2022-23, effective July 1, 2022. Motion carried.
B. A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the Resolution to accept the donations received for the benefit of the district as designated. Upon a roll call vote, the following voted in favor of: Westerman, Melbye, Mattson, Nomeland, and Walseth. Absent: Hempel and Spears. Motion carried.
Donor: Fraternal Order of Eagles
Designated Purpose (if any):
A. Review MSBA 524 Internet Acceptable Use policy w/ changes. This policy will be presented for approval at the September 12 school board meeting.
B. A motion was made by Wayne Nomeland and seconded by Craig Mattson to approve the renewal of the following policies w/ changes: Motion carried.
1. MSBA 416 Drug & Alcohol Testing Policy
2. MSBA 418 Drug-Free Workplace/Drug-Free School Policy
3. MSBA 410 Family & Medical Leave Policy
4. MSBA 413 Harassment & Violence Policy
5. MSBA 506 Student Discipline Policy
6. MSBA 514 Bullying Prohibition Policy
7. MSBA 522 Title IX Sex Nondiscrimination Policy, Grievance Procedure and Process Policy
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.
**Note: There will be a Special Joint City/County/School Meeting on Monday, August 29, 2022 at 5:30 pm in the Imperial Room at the Ralph Engelstad Arena.
/s/ Ryan Walseth, Chair
/s/ Michelle Westerman, Clerk
Regular Board Meeting