January 18, 2023
Regular Board Meeting
Independent School District 564 – Board of Education
December 12, 2022
A Regular Meeting of Independent School District #564 Board of Education was held on Monday, December 12, 2022, beginning at 5:00 p.m. in the DSC boardroom. The following board members were present: Ryan Walseth, Misty Hempel, Mike Spears, Wayne Nomeland, Michelle Westerman, Chris Melbye, and Craig Mattson. Absent: None.
Staff members present were: Dr. Paula Henry, Melissa Bushy, Dr. Tony Greene, Patrick Marolt, Meg Kolden, Amber Lindgren, and Scott Brekke.
Also present were: Tanya Monson-Ek, Shane Zutz, Kayla Lian, Marlene Anderson, and Dave Hill.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Chair Walseth called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m. Vice-Chair Hempel confirmed that a quorum was present.
A motion was made by Misty Hempel and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the December 12, 2022 agenda, as amended. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the minutes of the November 28, 2022 Regular Board Meeting, as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Chris Melbye and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the bills as submitted and on file in the School District Business Office. Motion carried unanimously.
Public Comment: None
A: Long-Term Planning Advisory Committee update -Shane Zutz
B: 2023-2024 ISD 564 Preschool options – Meg Kolden Reports:
A: Committee Reports:
1. Finance – Chris Melbye provided a recap from the December 1 and December 5 meetings.
B: Principal’s Reports:
1. CES – Principal Marolt
2. FMS – Principal Greene
3. LHS – Principal Brekke
Business Action Items:
A: A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Misty Hempel to approve the Consent
Agenda as presented, and as appropriate, per negotiated contract, salary and benefits and an acceptable background check. Motion carried unanimously.
1. Approve the employment of Carissa Oien, Special Education Paraprofessional, effective
December 5, 2022.
2. Approve the employment of Diane Paulson, Long-Term Substitute Communication Arts
Teacher, FMS, effective November 28, 2022 – January 31, 2023.
3. Approve the employment of Jesus Narvaiz, Cleaner, effective December 14, 2022.
4. Approve the employment of Dawn Stevenson, Bus Driver, effective December 19, 2022.
5. Approve the leave of absence for Kaitlyn Olson, Special Education Paraprofessional, from approximately December 26, 2022 until approximately March 19, 2023.
B: A motion was made by Mike Spears and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the employment of the following Targeted Services positions: Motion carried unanimously.
1. Targeted Services – CES (December 12, 2022 – March 27, 2023)
a. One (1) Coordinator – Up to 70 hours – Ken Wiggs
b. One (1) Kindergarten Teacher – Up to 45 hours – Julie D. Olson (.5) and Rhonda Johnson (.5)
c. Up to Eight (8) Gr. 1-5 Teachers – up to 45 hours each – Leslie Rogalla, Megan Largis, Marcy Helling (.5), Jill Johnson (.5), Karlyn Norlin, Paula Praska, Susan Finger, Mariah Kirkeide, and Amanda Mutnansky
d. Up to Three (3) Paraprofessionals – Up to 45 hours each – Jodi Anderson, Marcia Peterson, and Kim Burstad
C: A motion was made by Wayne Nomeland and seconded by Craig Mattson to approve the following Fall & Winter 2022-23 Extra-Curricular Assignments. Motion carried unanimously.
1. Marley Nelson-Boys Swim-HS-Asst
D: A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the RESOLUTION
Establishing Combined Polling Places for Multiple Precincts for 2023. Upon a roll call vote, the following voted in favor of: Walseth, Spears, Hempel, Mattson, Melbye, Westerman, and Nomeland. Motion carried unanimously.
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 564, State of Minnesota as follows:
1. Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 205A.11, the precincts and polling places for School district elections are those precincts or parts of precincts located within the boundaries of the school district which have been established by the cities or towns located in whole or in part within the school district. The board hereby confirms those precincts and polling places so established by those municipalities.
2. Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 205A.11, the board may establish a combined polling place for several precincts for school elections not held on the day of a statewide election. The following combined polling place is established to serve the precincts specified for all school district special and general elections not held on the same day as a statewide election in the calendar year following the adoption of this Resolution:
Combined Polling Place:
Ralph Engelstad Arena
525 Brooks Avenue North
Thief River Falls, MN 56701
This combined polling place serves all territory in Independent School District No. 564 located as follows:
3. Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 205A.09, the polling place will remain open for voting for school district elections not held on the same day as a statewide election between the hours of 7 o’clock a.m. and 8 o’clock p.m.
4. The clerk is directed to file a certified copy of this resolution with the county auditors of each of the counties in which the school district is located, in whole or in part, within thirty (30) days after its adoption.
5. As required by Minnesota Statutes, Section 204B.16, Subdivision 1a, the clerk is hereby authorized and directed to give written notice of new polling place locations to all registered voters in the school district whose school district polling place locations have changed. The notice must be a non forwardable notice mailed at least twenty-five (25) days before the date of the first election to which it will apply. A notice that is returned as undeliverable must be forwarded immediately to the appropriate County Auditor, who shall change the registrant’s status to “challenged” in the statewide registration system.
E: A motion was made by Misty Hempel and seconded by Chris Melbye to approve the increase in services received from the Northwest Service Cooperative to add strategic counsel and communications support from Rapp Strategies in the amount of $3,500 per month from January through November 2023. Motion carried unanimously.
F: A motion was made by Mike Spears and seconded by Michelle Westerman to approve to Establish and Post for the following positions: Motion carried unanimously.
Target Services – FMS – January 9, 2023 – April 5, 2023
a. One (1) Coordinator – up to 20 hours
b. Up to Two (2) Teachers – up to 45 hours each
Strong Fiscal Management:
A: Review MSBA 205 Open Meetings and Closed Meetings policy. This policy will be presented for approval at the January 9, 2023 board meeting.
B: First reading to adopt MSBA 707 Transportation of Public School Students policy. The policy will have a second review at the January 9, 2023 board meeting, with the final approval at the January 23, 2023 board meeting.
C: A motion was made by Misty Hempel and seconded by Wayne Nomeland to approve the renewal of the following policies w/ changes: Motion carried unanimously.
1. MSBA 206 – Public Participation in School Board Meetings/Complaints About Persons
at School Board Meetings and Data Privacy Considerations policy
2. MSBA 208 – Development, Adoption, and Implementation of Policies policy
3. MSBA 534 – School Meals policy
A motion was made by Michelle Westerman and seconded by Craig Mattson to take a recess at 5:56 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Chair Walseth called the meeting to order again at 6:15 pm.
A: Truth in Taxation presentation – Tanya Monson-Ek
B: A motion was made by Craig Mattson and seconded by Mike Spears to approve the RESOLUTION to certify 2022 payable 2023 levy at $6,834,508.01. Upon a roll call vote, the following voted in favor of: Nomeland, Walseth, Melbye, Mattson, Spears, and Westerman. Absent: Hempel. Motion carried unanimously.
C: The school board will have their Organizational Meeting on Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 12 pm in the DSC
D: The next LTPAC meeting will be held on January 12, 2023 at 7 am in the LHS Training Center.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:20 p.m.
/s/ Ryan Walseth, Chair
/s/ Michelle Westerman, Clerk