Crookston Man Charged After Alleged Hotel Assault
Crookston (trfnews.i234.me) — Juan Miguel Mendoza faces a felony assault charge following an alleged hotel attack in Crookston.
Mendoza is charged with third-degree assault causing substantial bodily harm.
The charge stems from an incident reported early August 6, 2026.
The alleged victim is identified in court records only as S.R.
Traffic Stop Leads to Assault Investigation
According to the complaint, police stopped S.R. around 2:26 a.m. on Elm Street.
Her vehicle had significant rear-end damage and a missing taillight cover.
Officers reported that S.R. had blood on her face and clothing.
She also had a severe injury to her upper lip, according to court records.
S.R. told police that Mendoza had slammed her to the floor inside a Crookston hotel room.
She alleged Mendoza grabbed her with one hand around her neck during the dispute.
S.R. said her head, side, and mouth struck the floor.

She also alleged Mendoza later lifted her by the neck and restricted her breathing.
Serious Injuries Reported
S.R. was first taken to Riverview Emergency Room.
She was later transferred to the intensive care unit at Altru Hospital in Grand Forks.
The complaint lists several injuries reported by medical staff.
Those injuries included a brain bleed and swelling around her neck and spine.
She also reportedly suffered back and chest sprains and a cut to her lip.
Investigators searched the hotel rooms connected to the incident.
The complaint says officers found a small blood stain near the bathroom area.
Police said the location was consistent with S.R.’s account of the incident.
Mendoza Gives Different Account
Authorities later located Mendoza riding a bicycle in Crookston.
Mendoza told investigators that S.R. had attacked him, according to the complaint.
He claimed she had been drinking and fell inside the bathroom.
Mendoza also showed investigators a small cut inside his upper lip.
He was arrested and taken to the Northwest Regional Corrections Center.
Felony Charge Filed
Third-degree assault carries up to five years in prison under the filed complaint.
The charge also carries a possible fine of up to $10,000.
Readers can review Minnesota’s third-degree assault statute.
Public case information is available through Minnesota Court Records Online.
The case is filed under Polk County court file number 60-CR-26-1137.
The charge and supporting statements are allegations and do not establish guilt.
Mendoza is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.
I’m Adrian Cole reporting for TRF News.
Copyright 2026 TRF News. All rights reserved.