Remer Man Faces 16 Felony Firearm Charges

Remer Man Faces 16 Felony Firearm Charges

Remer (trfnews.i234.me) — A Remer man faces 16 felony firearm possession charges in Cass County.

James Lewis Nelson, 71, is accused of possessing firearms while legally prohibited from doing so.

Each count involves a different firearm allegedly found during a Cass County investigation.

The case is filed in Cass County District Court as 11-CR-26-906.

Burglary Investigation Leads To Nelson

The investigation began after a property owner reported a possible burglary near Boy River.

The owner reported missing property, including condensers and a trailer, according to the criminal complaint.

Investigators later contacted a recycling business in Deer River.

The business reported that Nelson had recently sold several condensers and other scrap there.

The payment totaled $357.06, according to court records.

The property owner identified markings on the condensers as markings he had made himself.

Nelson later denied taking anything from the property.

Investigators Report Finding 16 Firearms

Investigators went to Nelson’s Remer-area residence on March 10, 2026.

Nelson allowed law enforcement to look through several buildings on the property, the complaint states.

Investigators eventually found several long-gun cases inside a detached garage.

The complaint says 15 cases contained a total of 16 firearms.

One Remington Model 700 resembled a firearm listed among the property owner’s missing items.

Dispatch then advised investigators that Nelson was prohibited from possessing firearms.

Nelson told investigators the guns belonged to his wife, according to the complaint.

He also claimed a former sheriff previously told him firearms could remain on the property.

Investigators later contacted that retired sheriff.

The former sheriff denied ever telling Nelson that he could possess firearms.

Sixteen Felony Counts Filed

The seized guns included Ruger, Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, Stevens, Winchester, and Remington models.

Prosecutors filed one felony possession count for each of the 16 firearms.

The complaint cites Nelson’s 2011 felony convictions as the basis for his firearm prohibition.

Those convictions included burglary, firearm theft, stolen property, and ineligible firearm possession offenses.

Each new count carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Each count also carries a possible fine of up to $30,000.

Readers can review Minnesota Statute 624.713 for firearm possession restrictions.

Additional court information is available through the Minnesota Judicial Branch.

The charges are allegations and have not been proven in court.

Nelson is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

I’m Adrian Cole reporting for TRF News.

Copyright 2026 TRF News. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment